Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year

photo by Idea go, freedigitalphotos.net

It is amazing to me that another year has drifted into the history books.  I would be here all week writing if I were to try and sum up the year that was 2010.  So many changes, upheavals, losses, gains, sorrows and dreams fulfilled. 

All in all, it was a very good year for Mac and me.  In our lives, the first very positive change was that I started my new job last January after being Cut Adrift! from my beloved, previous position at the end of 2008.  I have found a new role and some new associates, some of whom I am only just now starting to think of as friends.  I definitely have trust issues from earlier experiences, and apparently it takes about a year for me to begin to think of someone new as a friend. 

My new position was created by "ARRA", the American Reinvestment and Recovery Act, perhaps better known as the Obama Stimulus (thanks, Mr. President!).  As such, it was a temporary job, with only a limited amount of funding to fuel it.  My new boss, however, sought out and has found a new, more stable funding source to which she applied and got approval to make mine a permanent position.  Part of the deal was that the job had to be posted as an opening to the general public, and I am now involved in the very weird process of applying for my own job.  One hundred and six applicants sent in resumes.  Interviews start within the next few weeks, and since I have a full year's experience with glowing reviews, I think my chances are very good.  This has been another reason that the undertaking of the expenses of homeownership right now is more than a little terrifying, but I am running on faith all the way.

Of course, that astounding development of finding ourselves in the role of new homeowners was the biggest change the past year has brought for us.   I say "finding ourselves in the position", because it actually does feel like it is something that just happened to us, rather than something we caused.  It has been just that surreal.  Going into 2010, neither Mac nor I could have imagined in our wildest dreams that we'd be buying our first home before the year was out.

The elderly lady Emma, to whom I wrote the letter in my last post had been living alone in the little home for some time.  She lost her husband over twenty years ago, and her children have long since grown up and moved away.  She recently moved in with one of her kids and so the house became available.   I am told that she is quite sad to have left her home of about fifty years, so I wrote the letter to try and explain what it means to my family to be taking it over.  I will bring a copy of it to her representative at the closing this week and ask that it be given to her.  I hope it helps to alleviate some of her sense of loss. 

There were so many coincidences, synchronicities and strange happenings that made everything come together in this unlikely venture, that I have to believe that something big is at work here.  Although I have always tended to be a very anxious person, I find myself moving serenely and deliberately through my days and dealing with each new issue that arises with an odd air of calm and resolve.  This has reinforced my deep sense of trust that in the big picture, all will be well for us in 2011 and for the foreseeable time to come.  I finally feel that the universe is smiling on us.

May the year ahead be one of peace, love and prosperity for all of you and yours.  God bless us, every one!~ Deedee

3 comments:

  1. I am so pleased for you. I wish for you a wonderful year. You have really emphasised to me just how lucky my last few years have been and why, despite my occasional 'complaint', I play the Glad Game so often now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent, GB. It's so nice to converse with you again. All the best...Deedee

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so pleased for you. Congratulations. Sometimes the Universe has something in mind for us, wish it would hurry up and let me know what it has planned for me :-) So glad to see you blogging again too.

    ReplyDelete